Prep time : 10 mins | Cook time : 25 mins | Total time : 35 mins
Thai Jasmine Rice
- 1 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- Sesame Oil (You could also use Peanut Oil)
- 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) Vegetable/Chicken Stock (Cube + Water)
- 1 Tbsp Plain/All purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- Coriander + Extra for Garnish
- 100 ml Coconut Milk (A good quality coconut milk is important. Check the label. I used one with 75% Coconut extract. You could also use coconut cream and more water to get the same consistency)
- Mangetout (1 cup Cut in Halves)
- Red Pepper (Diced – Medium Sized chunks)
- Green Pepper (Diced – Medium Size chunks)
- 1 Red onion (Sliced)
- 2 Spring Onions (Sliced on a diagonal)
- Ginger (Minced)
- Garlic (3 cloves Minced)
- Red Chilli ( thinly sliced)
- Zest on 1 Lime
- Plain/All-purpose flour or Cornstarch
- Sesame/Peanut Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Lime wedge
- Mix of Black and White Sesame seeds
- Red Chilli (thinly sliced)
- Blot Tofu with kitchen paper to get rid of excess water. (I use half a pack) Cut Tofu into equal shaped triangles or cubes. Heat 4 tablespoons Peanut or Sunflower oil in a non-stick wok or frying pan and fry the Tofu until golden brown and slightly crispy on the outside. About 2 minutes on either side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add a drizzle of sesame oil and stir fry Red Onion, Garlic and Ginger. After 3 minutes have passed add the peppers and mange tout. After 3-5 minutes add the Tofu, toss and turn off the heat and set aside.
- Make the rice (Follow package instructions) * I soaked the rice for 15 minutes then rinsed through with water until the water ran clear. This extra step makes the rice extra fluffy & less starchy.
- Next, make the Curry sauce. Add a drizzle of sesame oil to a pan and stir fry the Thai red Curry Paste till fragrant about 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour and stir-fry for further 10 seconds making sure to stir continuously. Quickly pour in the Coconut milk and stir. (A good quality coconut milk is important. I used one that had 75% coconut extract). Now add the stock and seasoning. (Curry powder, Garam Masala, vegetable/chicken stock). Whisk or stir until smooth.
- After 5 minutes add a few slivers of red chilli. (Save some for garnish). This adds a subtle non-threatening heat as opposed to stir frying which can sometimes bring out an intense heat. Now add a few sprigs of Coriander, lime zest and a sprinkle of sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Final step; add the sauce to the Stir fried vegetables and heat through so the flavours soak into the tofu. Finish with a good glug of sesame oil and stir. I love adding sesame oil at the end to reintroduce the nutty flavour. It’s a step not to be missed.
- Serve the rice and curry. Garnish with coriander, red chilli and a sprinkling of black and white sesame seeds. Finish with a wedge of lime. A dash lime juice on the rice tastes amazing too!
Recipe adapted from Wagamama’s Raisukaree
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a pic & use the hashtag #HelloHenrietta I’d love to see it!